The possibility of survival in the nature of our world depends on many factors. The most important are the skills and knowledge of the person. Even finding yourself in the most adverse conditions without any things, you can be saved. Photo by Christopher Michel, link to the original (photo was changed).
Emergency Survival Basics
Knowing the basics of survival is a necessary element to preserve your life in nature. After all, not knowing how to behave in a given situation, it will be very difficult to escape. The most common are cases when a person needs to survive in cold, hunger and heat. It is very useful to know how to behave properly in such conditions.
Ways to extract water and food
Finding water is one of the most important tasks for a surviving person, since no person can live long without water. But to extract water is not enough, you still need to be able to clean it and disinfect it so as not to get infected. Fortunately, there are many easy ways to do this.
Food production is also very important. Of course, many have heard that a person can live without food for several weeks, or even a month. But what will be his physical maybe after such a long fasting?
The faster a person can find food in nature, the more he will have the strength to survive in the wild conditions of the world.
How to survive in the wild alone
Successful survival depends on a number of factors and all of them cannot be foreseen.
Figure 1. For survival, you will have to take care of such important things as drinking water, food, overnight
If for some reason you are alone, follow these tips (Figure 1):
- Find a source of water - this is the starting point for setting up your camp and organizing an overnight stay,
- Build a hut or temporary shelter - use massive spruce paws, trunks of fallen trees,
- Fence the territory of your stay - pull kapron thread or make a fence from flexible branches around the perimeter 1.5-2m from your berth,
- Make a fire in the light and take care of the supply of firewood - use moss and birch bark, dry deadwood as brushwood for ignition,
- Build a protective structure for the bonfire so that it does not fade from wind or rain,
- Find your food - the riverbank is the best place for these purposes, mollusks and frogs, a growing cattail - its baked root tastes like sweet potato,
- Collect branches of fruit bushes and trees - they will be needed for making tea - blueberries, raspberries, lingonberries, apple trees or plums.
If you get lost in the wild, act wisely and without panic:
- with high chances that they will quickly find you - stay in place,
- if you have your own tracks - return to them to the starting point of your route,
- if possible, give a signal of your whereabouts - with a smoke bomb, a bonfire or in another convenient way.
What to do in such conditions and how to behave
Surviving a person in the wild is not easy, especially without special skills and training.
Figure 2. For survival, you can build a hut and put snares on small animals
To do this, you must:
- To get food and arrange a lodging for the night (Figure 2),
- Build shelter from logs with tools,
- It is advisable to make two such shelters at a distance of 50-100m from each other,
- The first is for sleeping, the second is for cooking,
- Where you will sleep - pull a mosquito net or make a curtain of fir paws,
- Set up a place to dry and store personal items near your bed,
- Spread around the entire area of the branch and sticks to scare away wild animals,
- Inspect your territory - if there is a reservoir, go fishing, set traps and snares in the forest,
- Carefully choose a place for the camp so that there are no predator rookeries nearby,
- If you catch and clean fish - throw all the insides into the water, as their smell can attract bears.
Contact with the outside world
If you consciously set off to survive in the wild, it is important to keep in touch with the outside world.
Figure 3. To maintain contact with the outside world, it is better to worry about the walkie-talkie in advance
For communication you need:
- bring a walkie-talkie or satellite phone (Figure 3),
- get in touch at the scheduled time
- it’s advisable to do it in the morning and in the evening,
- do not miss calls so that your loved ones do not think that something happened to you.
What to eat: getting and finding food
Food is one of the most important factors in your stay in the wild.
In the first case, you need to know exactly what you can eat from wild plants, so as not to poison. Bitter tasting herbs and berries are unsuitable for food, while sour ones can be quite normal. For beginners, it is better to give preference to familiar berries and herbs - wild raspberries and blackberries, rose hips, cedar cones, spongy mushrooms with a pleasant smell.
It’s good if you have a gun or a rope with you, so you can hunt game. But be careful and learn to distinguish animal tracks, in particular in the forest.
Figure 4. If you find traces of the wings, be very careful: you may have entered the predator trail
How to distinguish animal tracks (Figure 4):
- Large, palm-sized ones may belong to a bear or moose - these are dangerous animals that can be aggressive and it’s better not to enter their territory,
- A pile of pebbles or spools that looks like stones is a moose droppings and it’s better to stay away from such marks,
- Many claw marks and broken branches, torn bark, indicate that a bear passed there,
- The best solution is to hunt rabbits with the help of snares - find some small grooves in the ground, they serve as hare paths, set snares on them and remember this place,
- Even if the loop is empty and it drags on, or there are small footprints around the trap, it is likely that the animals ran there and you can still catch them.
Step-by-Step Survival Actions
A person who finds himself in a natural environment needs to clearly establish the sequence of his actions in order to survive in it.
Figure 5. Take care of the fire for cooking and for signaling to rescuers, and snares will help you get meat
Here is the algorithm for survival:
- Build a shelter according to season and weather conditions (Figure 5),
- Consider your plan of salvation or the route that you will take to the village,
- Make fire with friction and improvised means dark, stock up on firewood,
- Make yourself a wooden knife - with a stone blow, give the wooden block the shape of a knife, then wet the stone and sharpen the resulting tool,
- Set traps and traps - snares, camouflaged pits with stakes, falling nets - they will help not only to catch game, but also prevent an unplanned visit of a predator,
- Try picking up clams, catching frogs or catching fish, replenish supplies of drinking water,
- Give a smoke signal - it will scare away uninvited guests and help people find you, for this constantly maintain fire in the fire,
- Engage in gathering fruits, larvae and plants — you can’t do without food.
Warnings and possible hazards
Accuracy and caution in nature should be shown in almost everything.
Figure 6. Perhaps earlier we gladly stroked and fed these animals in the zoo, but in the wild you will have to reconsider your attitude to them, your life depends on it
Here are some warning tips on this:
- Do not put wet stones around your fire
- Know that you have to kill animals to survive (Figure 6),
- Be prepared to be left without food,
- Do not succumb to unrest and fear, control emotions,
- If you are hungry, a feeling of fear can be intensified,
- Do not despair if you do not see the success of your hunt,
- Use alternative food sources,
- You may experience lack of sleep provoking a change in mood,
- A person can do without water for a maximum of three days, look for its source,
- Signs of dehydration are dry mouth and sore throat, dark urine,
- Maintain optimal body temperature,
- Avoid overcooling and overheating.
What do you need to survive in the wild
In recent centuries, people are increasingly surrounded by comfort, and going on vacation, he is waiting to see a furnished hotel with a clean bed and Wi-Fi, and with us on vacation we take suitcases of different things to change them every day. In the wild, you will not have the opportunity to receive all the blessings of the world (even if you have several thousand dollars in your pocket). To survive, you need to take care of the minimum set (Figure 7).
Figure 7. Minimum Survival Kit
The minimum set necessary to survive in extreme conditions consists of:
- Compass and signal checkers,
- Skein of rope and packing matches,
- Pieces of bright cloth and a whistle,
- Tools in the form of a sharp knife, an ax,
- Set for kindling fire, dry alcohol,
- Plastic film or bag and bouillon cubes,
- Tents, camping rug and sleeping bag,
- Weapons and hunting traps.
Man is not a bear to a friend
If you watched the movie "Survivor", then, roughly, you can imagine what a forest bear can do with a fragile man. Even small individuals of these carnivorous animals pose a mortal danger to the lost in the forest.
You need to immediately make a remark and say that people rarely enter the diet of bears, mainly these animals eat fish, roots, and other pasture. But a bear can easily attack a person, perceiving it as a threat to himself and his offspring. It is a common misconception that if you fall in front of a bear and pretend to be dead, then it will not touch you. In fact, this is not a stupid animal at all, and most likely it will just eat you up (bears do not disdain carrion, contrary to rumors). This advice can be used only as a last chance, when you are sure that the bear is attacking you.
When meeting with this predator you need to freeze on the spot with all your appearance showing that you are not going to encroach on his personal space. Slowly step back (do not try to run, this killing machine will catch you anyway).
If you were bitten by a snake
Do not rush to suck the poison from the wound with a snake bite. The toxin instantly enters the bloodstream and exhaustion will not lead to anything except major problems. Especially you should not do this if there are sores and weak gums in the mouth. The first thing to remember when taking a snakebite is that you don’t need to move a lot. The more actively you move, the faster the poison spreads throughout the body. The bitten person needs a plentiful drink, but it is not worth putting on plaits if you do not want the person to lose a limb. Snake venom is, in fact, a strong allergen, so an injection of prednisolone, or another drug similar in effect, can help a bite.
Serum and the antidote against snakebites is a myth that has little to do with reality. In fact, such substances can be useful only if they are administered immediately after a bite, or in the next 15 minutes. In fact, a person usually does not have such an opportunity, so the first thing to do is to make every effort to deliver a person to the hospital as quickly as possible.
Lost in the forest
If you get lost in the forest, the first thing to do is to find a source of water and figure out how you will build shelter in case of an unforeseen overnight stay. A common mistake of the stray is that they start looking for food, worried about the approaching feeling of hunger. In fact, it is worth remembering that a person can live without food for up to several weeks, but death from dehydration can occur very quickly. After a couple of days from a lack of water, hallucinations can occur, which will complicate the search for fluids.
Do the right shelter in the forest
Many believe that it’s enough to build a kind of canopy or hut from fir branches, and this will protect against night cold. In fact, a person will give most of the heat to the earth simply by lying or sitting on it. Most of the attention when preparing a shelter should be given to the litter in order to exclude direct contact of the body with the ground. It would also be nice to make a fire next to the shelter.
Where to find water in the desert
In many films, we often see secrets of survival from heroes. For example, there is a common misconception that cacti in deserts contain a lot of liquid, and thus you can be saved by drinking their juice. There are really a lot of fluids in these plants, only most cacti are so toxic that drinking their juice as water can provoke severe vomiting, which will increase dehydration and bring death closer. Drinking is only from proven cacti, and a list of them can be found in survival guides.
What berries are edible
Another misconception is related to eating in the forest or on a desert island. If you find unknown berries or tropical fruits, then do not rush to try them. Many advise to pay attention to animals: if birds and animals eat these fruits and berries, then they are harmless. In fact, this is a very dangerous advice, because many animals develop natural immunity to natural toxins, while humans do not even have it. It is best to know in advance what you can eat and what not, having prepared using special literature. Science will save your life.
How to find north in the forest
We are taught from childhood that moss on trees in the forest grows only from the north side, so you can easily navigate. In fact, this is one of the most dangerous misconceptions. Moss grows anywhere, do not trust in such methods. It’s best to read expert survival tips in advance on how to find north in the forest.
What to do if a shark loves you
If you are extreme extreme and love to swim with sharks, then you should not rely on the widespread belief that a shark attack can be repelled if you hit it on the nose. Most sharks do not care about such gestures, it is better to hook their gills or eyes. Remember that shark skin can easily be cut. To fight off a shark, use improvised objects - a mask, a tube, etc.
Fire production methods
Fire can greatly facilitate the task of surviving people, so the ability to mine it is very valuable. Of course, if you have a lighter in your pocket, then you should not particularly worry. But what if you have nothing of the kind? In this case, it is necessary to resort to other, more difficult methods of producing fire. And fortunately, there are quite a few of them.
- Fire production using lenses. Photo by 120, link to the original (photo was changed).
The ability to build temporary shelter is a very important skill in saving yourself a loved one in the wild. Even the most flimsy and unreliable shelter can protect against bad weather, which is especially important at night, as the temperature drops markedly. It will also help to protect yourself from dying insects, which is of great importance in forests in summer and autumn.
- Shelter from the snow. Photo by David J, link to the original (photo was changed).
Making homemade weapons
Making homemade weapons or tools is one of those skills that can greatly facilitate survival in nature. This is necessary for food and for protection from animals.
Many animals are noticeably stronger than humans, so when meeting them they would not have much chance to survive, if not for the ability to make weapons. This is the knowledge that can equate people with even the most ferocious predators.
In the nature of our world there are many dangers awaiting man, literally, at every step! These are various poisonous plants, and small insects, of which there are especially many in the woodland, and dangerous animals. Protecting yourself from all these dangers is not an easy task, but it is still possible. It is only necessary to know how to behave correctly, and to perform all your actions with an eye to this knowledge.
- Methods of protection against ticks. The author of the photo is stachelbeer, a link to the original (the photo was changed).
The ability to provide first aid is applicable not only in nature, but also in ordinary life. After all, quite often it happens that injured people require urgent medical care, but there is no one to provide it. After all, an ambulance takes time to get to the place. A person with first aid skills can save the victim, at least by helping him survive until the doctors arrive.
But left alone with nature, and having received some kind of injury, it is not worth hoping for the arrival of doctors. And here the ability to help yourself is invaluable.
Orienteering is not a prerequisite for survival. But sometimes it can still be a decisive factor. For example, if you get lost and you need to find a way out of the dense forest. Yes, you may not know in which direction it is located, but, being able to determine the cardinal directions, you can constantly move in one direction. В таком случае, рано или поздно вы выберитесь из леса.
Выживание в природе является сложной наукой, включающей в себя множество различных аспектов. Изучив их все, можно научиться выживать даже в самых неблагоприятных условиях. However, in fairness it is worth noting that the possession of the necessary knowledge does not give absolute confidence in a successful outcome if you are in a difficult situation. A lot depends on the person himself. And more specifically, from his ability to cope with difficulties, from his psychological stability. And in order to have more chances for salvation, it is necessary not only to learn various things, but also to develop your personal qualities.